Saturday, October 18, 2008

Day 106: Girls' Night Out


Today was day #2 of my girls weekend in San Diego and we decided it was high time to go out on the town.

We headed downtown to the Gaslamp District, where restaurants and bars abound. We had made a reservation at an Italian place called Asti Ristorante which had received decent reviews on Yelp (my favorite resource for restaurant recommendations when I travel).

Asti was a cozy place with terrific service. Everyone from the host to our waiter Marko was phenomenal to deal with. The food, however, was fair at best. I should have realized when the Yelp raves focused only on the bread that we should probably have low expectations. I always find that when a restaurant finds it necessary to fancy up their dishes with flowers or carved fruits and vegetables, it is often because the food can’t stand on its own. That was certainly the case here.

The wine list also left much to be desired. I understand that I am in Southern California, but Monterey and Santa Barbara wines far outnumbered those from Sonoma and Napa and we all know that there’s no comparison.

After having walked around the Gaslamp District after dinner, I’m guessing that it probably isn’t easy to find a stellar dining experience there. But we had a fun evening in any case - it’s who you’re with that’s the most important thing anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment