Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Day 109: Tuna, Take 2

It may sounds odd, but I was craving soy sauce tonight so I found a recipe for ginger soy sauce and tweaked it a little.  The original recipe comes from a great book called "Brilliant Food Tips & Cooking Tricks", which has lots of the basics covered.  

Unfortunately, the original recipe was way too oily, but the addition of the juice from half a lemon really balanced it out:

Sauce:
In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine 2 tsp sesame oil, 1 T each of soy sauce and dry sherry (I used mirin in place of the sherry), 1 tsp each grated fresh ginger and honey, and a pinch of ground red pepper (cayenne).  Like I said, I added the juice of half a lemon - and two minced cloves of garlic, too.

I let the sauce simmer for about 10 minutes or so, and then drizzled it over the tuna, which I coated in sesame seeds prior to searing in hot olive oil.

If you've been reading this blog awhile, you know that I cook a lot of tuna at home.  Making a sauce is a great way to change it up a little bit.  If you have any favorite sauce recipes, please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment