Sunday, October 26, 2008

Day 114: Got Apples?

It seems that everyone I know has been apple picking in the past couple of weeks.  A trip to Masker's Orchards was an annual trek that my parents, sister, and I took every year so I totally understand the appeal.  But what do you do with all of those damn apples afterwards?

You may recall Peter Brady's pork chops and applesauce catch phrase.  The kid knew what he was talking about - pork and apples are a delish pairing!

Tonight's dinner was coriander crusted roasted pork tenderloin with sauteed apples.  Our side dish was sauteed fresh sugar snap peas.

To make the apples, I peeled and then chopped a Rome apple.  You could use other kinds of apples - you want to choose one that's more on the firm side so it doesn't turn to complete mush.

In a non-stick pan I heat up a tablespoon or two of olive oil and a cinnamon stick on medium heat.  Once hot, I added the chopped apple, sprinkled a little bit of cinnamon and salt, and stirred.  After a couple of minutes (stirring from time to time), I add about 1/4 cup of apple cider, cover the pan, and turn the heat down to low.

I allow the mixture to cook and soften up for awhile - 15 minutes or so - until the apples are softened but still maintain their shape.  It's important to check on it from time to time to make sure all of the liquid hasn't evaporated.  If it has, add a touch more cider.

I recommend one apple per pound of pork tenderloin.  That will ensure that you get a bit of apple with each bite of pork.  Of course, you could do two apples - even two different kinds - and double your pleasure.

Have another idea about how to use all of those fresh picked apples?  Do tell!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the yummy recipe. It made me nostalgic too since we missed apple picking this year due to soggy ground and risk of injury to your klutzy sister.

    Anita

    ReplyDelete