Thursday, March 5, 2009

Day 244: A Fishy Love/Hate Relationship

I have a strange relationship with sushi.  Sometimes, the thought of it makes me queasy.  Other times, I crave it like a drug.  Even stranger, I do not even realize that I am in the love phase until someone mentions sushi.  I hear the word and all I can think about is gettin' me some.

Yesterday, a colleague mentioned that he had eaten sushi for dinner the night before.  The lights and sirens went off.  Mmmmmmmm....sushi.  Unfortunately, I had already purchased some steaks for last night's dinner.  I could have put them off until tonight, but we seemed to be having a short break from countless days of rain and it was a good night to grill.  So, sushi night was put on hold until tonight.

We went to Asa, our favorite neighborhood joint for raw fish.  After a bowl of edamame, we shared 4 rolls, including 2 Red Dragon rolls, our most beloved thing on the menu.  Shrimp tempura and crab down the center with spicy tuna, eel, avocado, and tobiko on top.  No roll on the planet can compare, but yet we always order other, lesser rolls as well.  Tonight those were a Honey roll (eel and avocado inside, salmon on top) and a Super Poke roll (spicy tuna inside, eel on top).

Of course, all of this was washed down with some ice cold sake and we received a couple of balls of mochi ice cream with our check.  The love affair is on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment