Monday, May 18, 2009

Day 318: Triple Threat - Tasty, Pretty, and Easy!

With a giant vat of leftover slaw in my fridge, I wanted to do something more creative than just serve it as a side dish (every day for the next week!). Fish tacos are often served with some shredded cabbage over the top and I've been meaning to try to make them myself for ages, so that's what we had for dinner tonight.

I used a mild white fish, similar to red snapper. I cannot remember what type of fish it was, I'll update this once I do! After patting it dry, I sprinkled ground cumin, dried oregano, and S&P on each side and rubbed it into the flesh. Then, after heating up a thin coating of canola oil in a non-stick pan, I pan fried the fish for about 2.5 minutes per side, transferred it to a plate, and flaked it apart with a fork.

Of course, I also made some guacamole. I like my guac a little bit chunky, so I scoop out the flesh onto a cutting board and mash it with the back of a fork. I then transfer it to a bowl and mix it with the juice of a lime, 2 heaping tsps of light sour cream, a few good shakes of Frank's Red Hot, and S&P.

Our final taco accompaniment was pickled red onions. These are so easy to make, can last in the fridge for several weeks, and add a nice little tanginess to fish tacos. All you do is thinly slice a red onion and submerge it in red vinegar. Leave it for at least 1/2 hour before you consume.

I assembled my tacos as follows: a good smear of guacamole over the top of a warm corn tortilla, about 1/2 dozen slices of pickled onion, a couple of spoonfuls of fish, and the slaw on top. This was such a tasty meal and so quick and easy to prepare. Even if you don't have leftover slaw, you can still just slice up some cabbage and maybe use a few additional slices of pickled onion. Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment