Saturday, February 7, 2009

Day 218: Last Night in Costa Rica

We've had a tremendous time in CR and I am really sad to be leaving tomorrow. But, I'm also looking forward to the next leg of our trip - Panama!

To begin to get myself integrated into that new culture, I started tonight's dinner with sancocho, described on the menu as a traditional Panamanian soup. It was so simple but so YUM!! Basically, it is chicken soup with chunks of chicken and potato. The broth was so rich and flavorful, though - much tastier than most chicken soups. I think they must cook it long and slow with potato and corn, with the starches from those veggies adding the richness.

Next, I had some grilled shrimp marinated in garlic. They were good, but not great. Or maybe the super delicious soup just ruined me for anything that followed. Although, to be honest, I splurged and had dessert tonight - traditional Costa Rican rice pudding (which was relatively undistinguishable from US rice pudding) that was very yummy.

I should mention that this meal took place at the restaurant at the lovely Villa Blanco Cloudforest Hotel and Spa where we spent our final night in CR. Unfortunately, we only had one day to spend here and the rainy weather continued, preventing us from fully enjoying the cloudforest itself, but the hotel experience was really nice and we definitely plan to return for a longer period of time one day, hopefully in the near future.

Meanwhile, tomorrow we move on to Panama. What tasty treats await us there, I wonder?



No comments:

Post a Comment