Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Day 236: Farmer's Market Room Freshener

Take a couple of fennel bulbs, the peel from one orange, a few cloves of minced garlic, and some freshly minced rosemary - throw it all in the oven - and what do you get?  The best smelling house in the neighborhood!

Tonight's dinner was garlic rosemary pork tenderloin with orange roasted fennel and it was as delicious as it was fragrant.

Pork:
I seasoned the tenderloin with salt and pepper and browned it on all sides in a pan with hot olive oil.  Once it was nicely browned, I removed it from the pan and coated it all over with freshly minced garlic (3 large cloves) and rosemary (the leaves from one large sprig).  I then placed it on a roasting rack with some OJ and chicken stock in the pan below and baked it in the oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.

Fennel:
I cut two bulbs into 8ths, being careful to keep the pieces connected at one end, and placed them in a bowl.  Using a paring knife, I removed the skin from an orange in one-inch pieces and added them to the bowl.  These items were tossed with olive oil, S&P, and then laid in a single layer in a glass baking dish.  The dish went into the oven at the same time as the pork and I mixed the fennel and orange around every 10 minutes.

After 30 minutes, I pulled out the pork and covered it with foil (it's a good idea to allow meat to sit for 5-10 minutes after cooking to allow the juices to settle).  I cranked up the oven temperature to 425 degrees and cooked the fennel for another 5 minutes.  Then, I sliced up the pork, plated everything, and gobbled it all up.

Everything was really good and I had the added benefit of getting a great whiff of tastiness every time I opened the oven.  Who needs Febreze?

No comments:

Post a Comment