Saturday, February 14, 2009

Day 225: A Day for Sweets and Sweethearts

I do not go gaga for Valentine's Day.  I do like to spend it with my hubby but we do not exchange gifts or make any sort of a big deal about it.  

We like to eat out that night, but carefully avoid restaurants with a special Valentine's Day menus, as they are usually tremendous rip-offs.  This year, we wound up at Salt House.

My appetizer was my favorite part of the meal.  I had a salad of smoked trout, raw fennel, little gem lettuce, and sections of orange and grapefruit.  All of the flavors and textures married perfectly, creating a refreshing dish.  I loved it.

Next, I had the pork loin entree.  The dish was separated in half.  In one half was the sliced tenderloin, laid across a bed of braised red cabbage.  On the other was braised pork belly, sitting on fruit puree with slices of cooked pear.  The two pork elements had totally different textures and flavors - interesting, but it didn't blow my mind.

The dessert, on the other hand, was totally mind blowing.  Unfortunately, I had to share it with my hubby!  It was composed of 3 mini ice cream sandwiches - peppermint ice cream sat between flower shaped chocolate cookies.  Dark chocolate and raspberry puree decorated the dish.  It was a delicious, edible work of art!

I hope you had a sweet Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment