Monday, February 23, 2009

Day 234: Celebrating a Milestone

My car has been approaching the 100,000 miles.  I hardly ever drive, but my husband drives it to/from work each day, so I've missed nearly every other major milestone.  I was determined to watch this one happen!

Based on the distance my husband travels each day, we new that tonight was the night.  We figured that by the time he got home, the car will be just 20 to 25 miles away from the target.  So, we decided to do something that we have never done before - leave the city for dinner on a school night.  We decided to try out the Buckeye Roadhouse, a popular and well regarded restaurant in Marin County.  By our calculations, the roundtrip should be the perfect distance to allow me to witness the big event. 

The Buckeye Roadhouse doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside it's quite nice and the menu is full of gourmet dishes (with upscale prices - corkage was $25!!).  We shared two appetizers:  the seared tuna with crunchy cabbage, bell peppers, and crispy noodles and the calamari with tomatillo salsa.  Both were excellent.

Next, I had seared scallops with lemon risotto and chanterelle mushrooms.  YUMS!!  I loved every bite, although I didn't quite finish every bite.  That's probably because we also shared a side order of maple mashed yams - so good I could hardly control myself.

After all this great food, we hit the road and it turns out, we timed this night perfectly.  When we were just a mile from home, the odometer made the much awaited spin.  100,000 miles!!  It looks like my little Honda is all grown up!

No comments:

Post a Comment