Monday, December 22, 2008

Day 171: Low Carb Latkes. Yes You Can!

Tonight marked year 2 of our annual Hanukkah dinner celebration.  Like last year, I made a brisket, but this year's recipe was world's better than last year's.  Braised slowly with dried apricots, garlic, and several aromatic seasonings - this dish forced a delicious aroma throughout the house all afternoon yesterday.

Everyone knows that you can't have Hanukkah without latkes, but this year I tried something new - much to my husband's chagrin.  Rather than make carb laden potato latkes, I decided to try zucchini latkes.  I thought they tasted pretty good and they added a nice little bit of color to the table - but my husband thought I should have stuck with the tried and true.

Speaking of tried and true, we of course had a loaf of challah on the table tonight.  Not just any challah - challah from the amazing Noe Valley Bakery - makers of the best challah in SF.

Last minute, I panicked about not having enough side dishes so I dashed out to our local grocery store and purchased some cous cous with raisins and veggies and a stewed white bean salad.

Finally, we capped it all off with some adorable and yummy desserts from the Noe Valley Bakery:  a cupcake with blue frosting and a mini dreidel, a petit four with menorah on top, and blue star sugar cookies.

It was a great dinner and a nice celebration.  Happy holidays, all!

3 comments:

  1. As a fellow, carb lover, I can understand the distress over the missing potato latkes. Yet, the many other kinds of latkes made with various vegetables and cheeses are really good, too. I'm sure your zucchini latkes were yumma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Hanukkah dinner sounds very delicious.I hope the lights of the menorah bring joy and brightness to your festivities. Your addition of apricots reminds me of the tzimmes side dish I made(and still make) using apricots, prunes, raisins, carrots, and onions, a very traditional side dish , good for meat meals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I knew about Noe Valley Bakery's Challah when I lived there. You do not know what I went through trying to find a Challah. Now I'll be prepared if I ever move back! Happy Hanukkah!

    ReplyDelete