Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Day 173: I Am Lucky

I am a Jewish girl that married a non-Jewish guy.  That means that I get to celebrate Hanukkah AND Christmas and that is a beautiful thing.  Monday night we had our awesome Hanukkah dinner and tonight we went out for a fantastic Christmas Eve meal at Capannina, a wonderful Italian restaurant in our neighborhood.

My husband and I actually choose to forego gift giving this time of year and instead, opt to have an opulent night out with good food and fine wine.  Tonight that meal included four courses:

We went "half-sies" on two appetizers:  a beet salad with arugula, goat cheese, and candied walnuts and spicy prawns with crispy polenta (pictured).  After that, we shared an order of wild boar ragu - rich, savory, satisfying, and one of my favorite dishes at Capannina.

My entree was cioppino, which seemed to be flying off the shelf tonight.  I spotted it on several tables throughout the restaurant when we sat down and I couldn't resist the lobster lying across the top of the bowl.   The dish also contained salmon, a giant scallop, shrimp, clams, mussels, and some kind of white fish.  All of this arrived in a delicious tomato broth - so yum.

And because that dish is at least as healthy and low fat as it is tasty, I felt compelled to share dessert with my hubby.  Capannina's profiteroles have rocked my world many times in the past and are always my go-to treat when I decide to indulge in sweets there.  Five soft, cream filled globes of dough are served with two dipping sauces:  melted chocolate and caramel.  Seriously?  I dare you to name something more divine.

All of this delicious plus prosecco to start, a lovely chianti with our meal, and dessert wine when we got home equalled a perfect evening as far as I'm concerned.  Who needs presents??

No comments:

Post a Comment