Sunday, December 28, 2008

Day 177: Satisfying a Two Day Old Craving

I mentioned on Friday that I was craving tacos.  But we got home way too late that night to start playing around with making guacamole, chopping tomatoes, and shredding cheese.  Then last night we attended a friend's holiday party and finally, tonight I was able to give in to my savory desires.

My tacos aren't anything particularly special, but my husband and I do love them.  I always use ground turkey rather than beef and cook it following the directions from the McCormick's taco seasoning mix envelope.

I also always make my own guacamole:

1 medium to large avocado
2 heaping tsp of reduced fat sour cream
Juice from 1/2 a lime
12-15 shakes from the Frank's Hot Sauce or Tabasco bottle

My favorite trick is to turn the avocado out on a cutting board and to mash it with the back of a fork.  Then I move the mashed avocado to a bowl, add the rest of the ingredients, and mix together.  Taste and add more of whatever you think you need.  Keep in mind that taco seasoning tends to be on the salty side, so adding more salt to the guac is usually unnecessary.

Another important tip is to use a good high quality sharp cheddar.  I like Cabot or Tillamook.  Use the large holed side of the grater to get the most flavor from your shredded cheese (this is highly recommended vs. buying pre-grated cheese which can be dry and flavorless).

As you can see from my photo, I skipped the taco shell tonight.  It's a lot of extra calories that aren't always worth it.  Of course if you're craving the crunch or just prefer not to eat something resembling dog food, then go for the shell.  Bearitos make good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment