Monday, November 3, 2008

Day 122: Election Week Special Part 1 (Chili)

In recognition of Election Day, this week will feature all American dishes.

It's been raining for DAYS here in SF.  That kind of weather makes me yearn for soup, stew, or chili and so on Sunday, I whipped up some chili for dinner tonight.  Everyone knows that chili is better a day or two (or three) later, once all of the flavors have mixed just right.

I've tried many chili recipes over the years and some are definitely better than others.  The best one I've found yet is from Bon Appetit magazine:

Ingredients:
1 T vegetable oil
2 medium onions, chopped (I used one large one)
1.5 tsp dried oregano
1.5 tsp ground cumin
1.5 lbs lean ground turkey
1/4 cup chili powder
2 bay leaves
1 T unsweetened chili powder
1.5 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes in juice
3 cups beef broth
1 8-ounce can of tomato sauce
3 15-ounce cans small white beans (I used 2 cans of white and 1 of kidney)

Heat oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat.  Add onions and saute until light brown and tender, about 10 minutes.

Add oregano and cumin, stir one minute.  

Increase heat to medium-high.  Add turkey and stir frequently until no longer pink, breaking up with the back of a spoon.

Stir in chili powder, bay leaves, cocoa powder, salt, and cinnamon.  Add tomatoes with juice, breaking up with the back of a spoon.  Mix in broth and tomato sauce and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add beans (rinsed and drained) and simmer for another 10 minutes.

I highly recommend serving chili with lots of sharp cheddar cheese.  Some of my favorite brands are Cabot, Tillamook, or Trader Joe's Extra Sharp Canadian.

If you have a favorite chili recipe, please share.  I do love this one, but I love to try new ones, too.  Here's to keeping warm this winter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment