Thursday, November 13, 2008

Day 132: Totally ON the Beaten Track

When traveling, I always ask the locals where they like to go out to eat. This usually ensures truly good food without throngs of tourists.

My husband and I are in Key West this week and so asked our taxi driver last night for some recommendations. He named two local favorites and tonight we visited - neither of them. Instead, out of convenience and sheer vacation laziness, we opted for one of the more commonly known places, Conch Republic Seafood Company and now we know why this place is so popular!

We shared three items:
Steamed shrimp - some of the biggest I ever saw. They came with cocktail sauce, horseradish, and melted butter but they didn't need to be dipped in any of them. They were well seasoned and very flavorful as they were.

Crab cakes - besides being a bit too bready, these were tasty as well.

House salad - because dinner is never complete without something green.

I also must mention The Conch Republic's bread, which was warm and flavored with coconut and pineapple. It was sweet and so yummy - I found it difficult to control myself!

Despite my choice of dinner locale tonight, I'm still a huge advocate for getting off the beaten track and seeing how the locals live and eating what the locals eat. Good thing we still have a couple of days here to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment