Saturday, November 15, 2008

Day 134: Congratulations, Jeanne & John!

Welcome to the first ever wedding entry on 365daysofdinner.com!

The dinner reception took place at Conch Republic Seafood Company, a popular restaurant here in Key West, FL. (If it sounds familiar, it's probably because you read entry #131, which also took place here!)

After cocktail hour snacks of conch fritters and smoked fish salad, the buffet was opened with a variety of offerings that showcased Key West and Cuban fare. I, of course, tried it all!

I was most interesting in trying the picadillo, which is a Cuban chili-like dish I make from time to time at home (see entries #3 "It Ain't Pretty but It's Soooo Good" and #96 "It's Fun to Eat With Your Hands" for the recipe). This version was a bit different (no dried fruit) but was really flavorful and my favorite dish of the night. The fried plantains were super yummy as well - I've never met a plantain I didn't like! I also enjoyed the black beans and rice - such simple comfort food!

And of course, this being Key West, key lime pie took the place of wedding cake and was a great, refreshing way to end the meal.

I'm sad to see our trip come to an end. Key West is such a fun place, full of friendly people, and good eats. Actually, although this blog has focused to date on dinner (with one small breakfast detour in entry #___), I really want to make mention of fabulous spot where we had lunch today - The Hogfish Bar & Grill. Located one key away on Stock Island, this is a totally local joint, which I was fortunate to spot on a little map yesterday while we were exploring the area. It's totally tucked away and nearly impossible to find - but it's definitely worth the search. I had my first ever hogfish today - grilled and served with melted swiss cheese on Cuban bread. The fish was meaty yet light and really good. My husband and I also shared some amazing steamed shrimp. This was probably our best meal this trip and if I ever find myself back in this area, I'll be sure to return. Go hogfish!!

No comments:

Post a Comment