Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Day 138: Withdrawal Symptom?

The headache I was suffering from yesterday hung on throughout the day today.  I started thinking that perhaps it was a withdrawal symptom caused by lack of seafood in my diet.  Perhaps my body got used to a daily dose of fish during my Florida vacation.  Hey - I know it's a long shot - but after 37 hours of headache, I was willing to try anything.

I bought a beautiful swordfish steak and prepared it as I always do - simply.  I patted the fish dry with a paper towel, and then sprinkled both sides with salt & pepper, and squeezed about a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and drizzled a little olive oil on each side.  Then, my husband grilled it - feel free to leave a comment regarding the gorgeous grill marks he created.  

To go with the fish, I sauteed bok choy and shitake mushrooms in lemon juice and garlic.  I made this recipe up:

I trimmed the bottom off of 3 bok choys and then sliced them across at approximately 1/2 inch intervals.  Once I got to the leafy part, I just cut the leaves in half and then I submerged all of it in some cold water and swished it around to make sure it all got clean.  Bok choy hides a lot of dirt inside, so you have to really give it a good rinse.

I cut the stems off of about a dozen shitake mushrooms, and then cut the caps into quarters.

I heated some olive oil & a couple of shakes of red pepper flakes in a large saute pan on medium-low heat and then sauteed three cloves of chopped garlic for a couple of minutes until they were soft.  I added the mushrooms, which of course sucked up all of the moisture that was in the pan.  To make sure nothing burned, I added a couple of tablespoons of chicken broth to the pan.  Once the mushrooms had softened up, I added the drained bok choy and cranked the temperature up on the burner to medium-high.  I added the juice of a small lemon, some S&P, mixed everything together, and mixed frequently for the next 10 minutes or so.

For a hot dish, this side was pretty refreshing because of the lemon juice and really complemented the fish.  I drizzled some of the liquid from the pan over the fish and sprinkled lemon zest over the whole dish.  Yum!

Whether or not this is a secret headache cure is yet to be determined.  Tune in tomorrow to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment