Friday, November 7, 2008

Day 126: Election Week Special Part 5 (Cheeseburger)

Tonight concludes my All American theme week in honor of this week's historic election.  Let's review:

Monday:  Homemade Chili
Tuesday (Election Night):  Chicken Wings
Wednesday: Chili Dogs
Thursday:  Grilled Cheese

What a week of gluttony!  If you're a regular reader of this blog, you probably think I've flipped my lid.  A normal week of dinner in our house usually includes at least two nights of fish, something grilled, lots of salad, and other green sides.  But this week was all about celebrating what's unique about America and apparently, that's a lot of high calorie food!

We wanted to wrap the week up with a cheeseburger and so we returned to The Balboa Cafe.  Considering the zillions of visits we've made to The Bal, it's quite shocking that neither my husband nor I had ever had a burger there.  Every time we go, though, we see that they leave the kitchen in droves, so we knew they had to be good.

Once we got there and heard that their nightly pasta special was macaroni and cheese, my husband bailed on the cheeseburger plan.  I stuck with it, though, and am so glad I did!  The burger was perfectly seasoned and served in a baguette.  I'm sure it helped that I added bacon, Monterey Jack cheese, and some good old California avocado but I think that even without all of those tasty extras, that burger would have been the bomb.

And as with every other night this week, our meal was accompanied by a good made-in-the-USA beverage.  Tonight we enjoyed a bottle of Geyser Peak Cabernet Sauvignon, produced in Sonoma County here in California.

Tomorrow we will return to regular life.  That means no fried food, much more fish, and much less cheese.  But theme week was fun and I'd love to do another sometime.  If you have an idea for a future theme, please leave a comment!

1 comment:

  1. i have a theme. Jew Food during hanukkah.

    ReplyDelete