Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Day 278: "Why is Jewish Food So Gross?"

That is the question a friend of mine emailed me today.  She was headed to a family member's house tonight to celebrate the first night of Passover and she was not looking forward to the meal.  Upon further probing, I found out that she doesn't care for the way they prepare the lamb and the peas they serve are from a can.  Ah ha!!  Proof once again that you shouldn't blame the food itself for poor flavor or icky texture.  Blame the cook!

Of course there are foods that each of us simply do not care for, no matter how they are cooked.  However, I firmly believe that at least some of the time, it isn't the food item we don't care for - we just haven't had the chance to enjoy it prepared properly.  Here are some sure fire ways to ensure that you (and the people you are serving) will hate what you (and they) are eating.

1.  Boil (or bake or broil or whatever) it to death
2.  Forget to season it
3.  Buy poor quality ingredients

Take that lamb that my poor friend was forced to eat tonight.  I'll admit that lamb has a strong and unique flavor that may not appeal to everyone.  But I'll bet that a good amount of people who currently say "lamb is gross" could be convinced it's delicious if they try a tender, perfectly seasoned lamb chop set ablaze before it's served - like the ones I enjoyed at Mezes tonight.  Mustard crusted lamb chops are delicious too.

And while canned peas may be a good staple to keep in your bunker, they are simply not very tasty.  Nothing beats fresh English peas, especially if they come from your local farmer's market.  Just do not cook them until they are mush.

Speaking of fresh veggies, I enjoyed a lovely Greek salad along with my chops tonight.  Nothing from a can on my plate tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment