Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Day 292: Potatoes? Or Marshmallows?

With a redeye flight to catch tonight, there wasn't time for cooking and cleaning up afterwards, so off we went to Balboa Cafe for dinner.

I almost always order fish at the Bal, because it's always damn good. I don't know what their trick is, but it's always tender, flavorful, and crispy on the outside. Normally, they have a salmon dish, but recently they switched things up and they offer halibut now instead.

The halibut filet sat atop a bed or spinach and a couple of fingerling potatoes that tasted oddly like toasted marshmallows. I can't explain it and the Bal may not be able to either, but their flavor definitely took me back to sticking marshmallows at the end of a branch and toasting them over the grill.

All of this was served with crabmeat beurre blanc sauce and bits of crab on top. Yummers. Add a bottle of wine (split with my hubby, of course), and I was in good shape to sleep soundly on my flight!

No comments:

Post a Comment