Saturday, April 25, 2009

Day 295: I Just Can't Party Like I Used To

Whenever I come back east for a visit, I try to squeeze in some fun with as many friends as possible. It can be difficult due to obligations I have with my family and the fact that friends are scattered about the metropolitan area and many have young children. But it's always worth the effort, however brief or long the time is that we get to spend together.

Today the marathon of friends began. I met a college friend for lunch at a midway point between her house down the shore and my parents' house in Northern NJ. Of course, we met at a mall. This is Jersey after all.

Tonight I headed into Manhattan for dinner with 1/2 dozen friends, most of whom I used to work with. We chose Cafe Frida on the Upper West Side as it was convenient for everyone to get to, nearby my crashpad for the night, and who doesn't love a margarita?

As far as a gathering place, Cafe Frida offers delicious food and yummy margs in lots of flavors (we had plain and hibiscus), but it is also really loud so we were shouting at each other for most of the evening.

We began with made to order guacamole. The first bowl was perfect but the second needed another squeeze of lime. Still, it was fresh and tasty, with chopped avocados rather than mashed so it had great texture. Next, I had fish tacos. I could choose whether I wanted the fish fried or sauteed (I went with sauteed) and whether to have corn or flour tortillas (corn, of course!). They were fabulous, especially with the spicy green sauce (avocado, tomatillo, jalapeno?) drizzled over the top.

After dinner, we gathered at one of my friend's apartment for wine and dessert - homemade key lime pie that she had whipped up earlier in the day. I have great friends.

Unfortunately, in all the excitement, I definitely didn't pay attention to how much booze I was putting away. Some wine before dinner + margaritas with dinner + more wine after dinner = a not so happy tummy in the morning. Let's make no bones about it - I felt like crap! Let's hope I carry that lesson with me as I proceed through the rest of my trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment