Friday, April 24, 2009

Day 294: Hey, I Know That Guy!!

One night last year, I sat down to watch one of the many reality shows that I tune into - Kitchen Nightmares. As usual, the narrator was introducing the restaurant that Gordon Ramsay was going to go in and fix this time and what do you know, the owner is a guy I grew up with!

Unlike on many other episodes, the problem at Campania wasn't that the food was bad or the management was made up of moronic pricks. The issue was simply that the lack experience running a business was causing the restaurant to lose, rather than make money. Gordon worked his magic and everyone lived happily ever after.

Or did they? I needed to see for myself. So, on this weeklong trip back to New Jersey, I decided to treat my parents to dinner out - at Campania, of course!

I'll start off by saying that the place is adorable. I'm not sure if Gordon and his renovation are to thank for that, but the atmosphere is warm and welcoming.

I ordered both my starter and my entree from the specials menu. The special salad was mixed greens with red grapes, toasted almonds, goat cheese, and lemon vinaigrette. I loved it. The combination of ingredients was perfect and it paired wonderfully with Campania's delicious, soft foccacia which I used as a goat cheese carrier and to mop up the dressing.

My entree was pan roasted grouper with eggplant and grilled ramps. This was a great dish - the fish was cooked perfectly and the accompanying elements were delish. I hadn't thought to grill ramps (which taste like mild green onions) before but I'll definitely try it at home. The eggplant was perfect - soft and sweet. There were two large pieces but I wished there were more.

In the end, I was too full for dessert, which was heartbreaking since they had homemade tartufo on the menu and that is one of my faves!!! I guess I'll have to go back next time I'm in the neighborhood.

I'm always one to root for the local small business owner, and that sentiment is multiplied by a thousand when I know the owner personally. This one even invited me to visit him in the kitchen which was a great treat! Thanks, Joe!

No comments:

Post a Comment