Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Day 187: Three Pints Later...

Grand plans to cook dinner tonight were dashed by three rounds of drinks with friends from the office.

Instead, we went to Brazen Head, a popular restaurant in our neighborhood.  Having dined here twice now, we really aren't sure what the appeal is.  The food is average, the atmosphere is somewhat cave-like, and they only accept cash.  The primary focus of the menu is steaks, but better ones can be had a couple of blocks away at Izzy's or around the corner at Harris'.

For reasons I cannot quite identify, I ordered veal picatta.  Never in my life have I ordered this dish.  In fact, I cannot even remember ever ordering any kind of veal.  I guess I can blame that on three rounds of drinks as well.

It was okay.  Nothing to write home about.  My appetizer, on the other hand, was quite tasty.  I had it last time we went to Brazen Head and couldn't resist it tonight.  A warm dish arrives holding a head of roasted garlic, 2 wedges of melty camembert cheese, 2 slices of salty prosciutto, and 2 fat pepperocinis.  Along the side are slender slices of sourdough.  For the tastiest results, I recommend assembling it as follows:  select a large garlic clove and squeeze and spread the garlic onto a slice of sourdough.   Top that with a layer of the cheese, followed by half of a slice of prosciutto, and then pieces of the pepper.  Consume and moan with delight.

Other than that strange little piece of heaven, there really isn't much reason, in my opinion, to visit Brazen Head.  Then again, offer to buy me a couple of drinks and it appears I will give in.

No comments:

Post a Comment