Saturday, January 10, 2009

Day 190: Found Via Yellow Death Machine

The phrase "yellow death machine" was coined by my husband after one too many death defying white knuckle rides in a NYC taxi.

I hopped into a yellow death machine after work a few weeks ago and the driver took me on a totally circuitous route.  Annoyance turned into appreciation when we passed by an adorable restaurant not too far from our house, but on a street I wouldn't normally use.  We gave that restaurant a try tonight.

Amarena was charming indeed and we were warmly greeted when we arrived and experienced very friendly service throughout our meal.  The atmosphere had a cozy, neighborhood feel that I liked as well.  The food, however, was good - but not great.  I think that if we lived closer, we would work Amarena into our rotation.  But because we have a stellar Italian restaurant within walking distance from our place, we don't see much of a reason to board a bus or catch a cab to get to Amarena again.

Okay - so what did I eat?  First, my husband and I shared a beet and spinach salad with ricotta dressing.  The beets were delicious, but the dressing lacked seasoning or any real flavor.  Next, I had the eggplant parmesan "small plate".  I was thrilled when it arrived and the eggplant wasn't fried.  However, a somewhat disturbing amount of olive oil oozed out of it as I cut into it.  The dish tasted good and I know that olive oil is a "healthy fat", but I just didn't really enjoy it as much as I normally do eggplant parm.  My entree was salmon with olives, capers, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, and potatoes.  This was very yum and I would happily order it again if I find myself at Amarena again in the future.

We hadn't tried a new restaurant in awhile and very rarely venture out of our immediate neighborhood for dinner so tonight was a nice change of pace.  What will be my next yellow death machine discovery?

No comments:

Post a Comment