Sunday, January 18, 2009

Day 198: Ordering by Process of Elimination

If you've been reading this blog for awhile, you know that I almost always cook on Sundays.  Today, however, we were out of town and returned too late to start thinking about making dinner and so we headed over to Bistro Aix.

BA is one of our favorite neighborhood restaurants but tonight's experience was a bit trying.  Upon sitting down, we were informed that they were out of 4 or 5 items on the menu.  Of course, one of them was the bouillabaise, which I love and which I had planned to order.  I contemplated my other options and decided on the steak, but when it was time to order, they had run out of that as well.  Grrrr.  

With few options left, I went for the chicken breast with haricot verts and mashed potatoes.  I very rarely order roasted chicken at a restaurant as this is an incredibly easy dish to make at home.  It's almost as if I feel I'm wasting a night out by having something I could make myself.  Having said that, I was very impressed by how crispy the skin was.  I normally remove the skin since it's packed with fat, but it was so crispy and peppery and delicious - I couldn't resist.

It turns out that we had a very typical Sunday experience at Bisto Aix.  Everything they serve is fresh and they are closed Monday and Tuesday so by Sunday night they are running on empty.  As annoying as it was, I really appreciate the freshness factor and so we'll definitely return - just not on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment