Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Day 194: One Billion Calories in Disguise

Okay - maybe not a billion, but I track my calories at Sparkpeople.com and I was shocked by how much I supposedly consumed tonight at Mezes.

We shared the vegetarian appetizer plate - which I admit is huge.  It's great though - a couple of bites of lots of delicious things:  feta cheese, tzatziki, babaganoush (which I do not care for and so my hubby gets all of it), pita bread, spanakopita, stewed giant white beans, beets & beet greens, and cheesy zucchini cakes.

Next we shared some smaller dishes:  Greek salad - so simple but so delicious.  We also shared grilled octopus and lamb meatballs (I'm sure you can see why we call them meat logs).  Finally, we shared dessert - galaktobouriko - possibly, the most delicious thing on earth not made from chocolate.  Crispy phyllo dough is wrapped around custard and the whole thing is drizzled with honey.  Words cannot describe.

To top the meal off, we had a bottle of wine.  Once that was done, the bartender finished another bottle off on us.  Then, he served up some dessert wine.  The guys at Mezes know that we love them and they often reward our repeated patronage with free booze.  Of course, that only makes us love them more.  I guess you now know the way to our hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment