Saturday, January 24, 2009

Day 204: All Hail California Wine Country!

After a full afternoon of wine tasting, I needed a hearty dinner tonight.  I thought about ordering a pizza but after just a couple of seconds, I was able to convince myself to find a healthier option.  We went with a grilled steak and roasted veggies.

I took a head of fennel, chopped off the top, and cut the bulb into wedges.  I did the same with a couple of bulbs of shallot, threw it all into a bowl, and tossed it with enough olive oil to coat and some S&P.  All of this was laid in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and placed in the oven for 10 minutes.  

At that point, I turned the fennel wedges over, added about a pound of haricot vert, mixed everything up, and placed the baking sheet back in the oven for another 10 minutes.  Then, I added about 1.5 cups of defrosted frozen peas and baked everything for another 10 minutes.

The steak was prepared simply - S&P and grilled just long enough for beautiful medium rare meat.

Of course, we had some wine.  I mean, why slow down the momentum of the day?  My husband pulled a bottle of Joseph Phelps 2005 Cabernet out from our wine fridge.  It was a great pairing and a lovely way to top off our day of wine consumption.  All hail California wine country!!

No comments:

Post a Comment