Friday, January 30, 2009

Day 210: An Early Happy Bday to ME!!

My birthday is on Sunday.  Normally, my husband would treat me to a big, fancy dinner out but we'll actually be on a plane all day (more on that later) so we celebrated tonight instead.

In recent years, my birthday has been celebrated at some freaking amazing places:  Chez Panisse, Gary Danko, Babbo!!  This year I wasn't sure what to choose and so I asked for a recommendation from a colleague who is also a big foodie.  He suggested Range.  I had never heard of it, but based on his high praise and a yummy sounding menu, I went for it.  And it was GOOD.

I started with "artichoke stuffed pasta".  Okay - that was ravioli - and I have no idea why they didn't just call it ravioli - but it really doesn't matter.  It was to die for.  Chopped almonds and fried sage leaves were sprinkled on top of the pasta and addeda ton of additional and amazing flavor.  Seriously - I could eat this dish every day.  Twice.

My entree was slow cooked pork loin with white beans, fennel, and kale.  This dish was simple, yet flavorful and delicious.

My colleague had insisted that we order dessert - and who am I to argue with advice like that?  I ordered the pink lady apple & huckleberry tarte tatin and my husband had the chocolate and espresso souffle.  I loved mine.  It came with a scoop of creme fraiche ice cream which was perfect because it wasn't too sweet while the tart itself was quite sweet.  A perfect balance.

This was a wonderful meal.  And so the birthday week begins!  We fly to Costa Rica on my actual birthday and will spend a week and a half there and in Panama.  365daysofdinner.com will go on hiatus, but check back mid next week.  I'm sure I'll have LOTS of rice and beans to tell you about!

No comments:

Post a Comment