Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Day 201: Celebrating the Return of LOST!!

Oh, how I have been awaiting this day.  Finally!!  Lost has returned!!

In celebration, I made a Lost inspired dinner:  grilled shrimp skewers with pineapple salsa, sauteed bok choy, and a side of seaweed salad.  I thought this reflected Lost quite nicely - people stranded on a tropical island and the show is filmed in Hawaii.

I marinated peeled and deveined shrimp for 10 minutes in the following mixture:
Juice of 1 large lemon
2 large garlic cloves, smashed
1 T olive oil
1/8 tsp salt
Cracked black pepper to taste

Once marinated, I threaded the shrimp on skewers and my husband grilled them up.

To accompany the shrimp, I made a pineapple salsa:
1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
1/2 jalepeno, seeded, pulp removed, and finely minced
1 shallot, minced
Juice of 1 lime

I also sauteed some bok choy.  First, I heated up some olive oil on low heat.  Once hot, I added 2 minced cloves of garlic and sauteed that for a few minutes.  Then I trimmed the bottom off of 3 heads of baby bok choy, sliced them in half lengthwise, and tossed them in the pan with 2 T of white wine and a generous dose of salt.  I jacked up the heat to medium-high, stirred everything together, and threw a lid on the pan.  Make sure you check it frequently and give it a stir.  If it seems to need more liquid, throw in another splash of wine.  After 5-7 minutes, the leaves should be wilted and the stems should be softened and the bok choy is ready!

The final touch was just a bit of store-bought seaweed salad.  We're still picking it out of our teeth, but it was damn tasty.

Oh yea - and I crushed up some roasted cashews in the food processor and sprinkled them over the whole plate.  They added some more protein and a nice crunch to a plate of otherwise soft food.

This was a very good meal and of course, Lost was awesome.  Maybe I need to be inspired by TV more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment